Shadow Kiss – Review // My Favorite In The Series So Far

Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
Book 3 in the Vampire Academy series
Genre: YA urban fantasy, paranormal
Pages: 443
Format: paperback
Source: library
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository


If you’ve read at least the first three books in the series and want to know my thoughts on the spoiler-y bits, you can watch my book talk. πŸ™‚

(Tip: don’t read the synopsis forΒ this book on Goodreads. It spoils the ending.)

plot: 20 out of 20
characters: 20 out of 20
setting: 20 out of 20
relationships: 20 out of 20
twists: 20 out of 20
100 out of 100

Wow. Shadow KissΒ was so captivating and emotional (note: I still didn’t cry) and definitely my favorite in the series so far. πŸ˜€

the plot

Not too much action goes down until the last quarter or so of the story, but this is the sort of book that just hooks you. Everyone is coping with recent events, and the stakes (no pun intended) are higher than ever. The majority of the book is mostly aftermath of the second and buildup for the very climactic ending, but that didn’t bother me. I was only able to read about 150 pages yesterday when I started, but I literally binge-read the rest of it this afternoon. When I first picked it up today, I was excited but not extremely so. To put it simply, I should’ve been. More than once (2-4 times?) I found myself pausing to get a snack or look at the clock and realizing I’d read 50+ pages in half as many minutes. This is one of those books where you don’t notice how absorbed you actually are until you take a break, and it was amazing. πŸ˜€

the characters

Rose developed a lot in this book. She really took her guardian training and responsibilities seriously, and while it was different from the impulsive girl I loved initially, I still loved her character. She was an epic fighter and defender, even more than before with her new, more logical mindset. However, inside she had a lot to deal with. She blamed herself for past events and believed she was going crazy. I can’t say much more than that without spoiling things, but I can say this: as much as I didn’t like seeing her struggle, it was exactly those struggles that made her a more relatable protagonist. πŸ˜‰

I can’t say too much about the other characters without giving something or other away, but they evolved as well and I loved them all almost as much. Lissa became fiercer and more confident, Dimitri showed more vulnerability while remaining an epic guardian, and Christian and Adrian were still the snarky Moroi we love. πŸ˜€ (But let’s be real, Adrian > Christian, right?)

the setting

Most of this book took place on Academy grounds, but there were escapades to the royal palace and the surrounding wilderness. Specifics would mean spoilers, but trust me when I say that the descriptions were vivid enough to imagine you were there as you read. πŸ˜‰

the relationships

I swear, this series has one of the most conflicting romances ever. In the second book, half of me was starting to ship Rose and Dimitri and the other half was still convinced it was wrong. Now I don’t know what to think. Now closer to 75% of me ships them, but the remaining 25% is trying to remember that it really is wrong. I applaud Richelle for being able to write something that gave me such conflicting emotions, but I also can’t figure out what side I’m on. It’s my hopeless romantic side versus my practical side, and it’s honestly so hard. XD

the twists

Like I said, the majority of this book wasn’t super eventful. But after that last chunk, I couldn’t care less. The last 80 or so pages were absolutely insane, and I honestly can’t put words together to adequately describe the ending. It was a horrible cliffhanger, and I don’t know how anyone could read that and not need the fourth immediately. I know I do. -.-


All in all, Shadow KissΒ was just amazing. It’s easily my favorite in the series so far, and if the rest are just as good I’ll be in bookworm heaven. I know for sure that I’ll be looking for the fourth book at the library as soon as humanly possible so I can find out. πŸ˜€

my rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Have you read this book? Is it on your TBR? If you have read it, what did you think? I’d love to know! Tell me in the comments! πŸ™‚

I’m off to bed, and in the morning I’ll start a new book. πŸ˜‰ I hope you all have a fabulous day/night! ❀

Until next time…

HOG post end

Come visit me! πŸ˜€





4 thoughts on “Shadow Kiss – Review // My Favorite In The Series So Far

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s